Pesto is one of our FAVE sauces over here at the Nourished By Heirloom headquarters. Add pesto to just about anything for a burst of freshness and flavour. We turned this traditional Italian sauce into a vinaigrette so it can be enjoyed on salads.
The star ingredient in pesto is fresh basil which is an excellent source of Vitamin K, C, A, as well as manganese, calcium and magnesium. We kept this pesto dairy free by using nutritional yeast which provides B vitamins, and budget friendly by using sunflower seeds instead of costly pine nuts. To make this vinaigrette even more nourishing, we added our Vitality superfood tonic.
We suggest pairing this dressing with our arugula & white bean salad with everything bagel croutons. It truly is the definition of yum.
Total time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4-5 salads
- 1 cup fresh basil, lightly packed
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp Vitality superfood tonic
- Add all ingredients into a blender. Blend until all ingredients are well incorporated, but still a little bit chunky.
- Enjoy and feel nourished!